Monday, November 24, 2014

Something I enjoyed reading in class—Song of myself by W. Whitman

We read song of myself section 10, 33 and 52 recently. I liked section 33 the most. It talked about Whitman’s perspective of heroism. In the poem he mentioned heroes such as a runaway slave who suffered greatly, a woman who was accused of being a witch, and was sentence to burn to death while her children gazed upon. Whitman described a fireman who sacrificed himself to save other. Same with the dying general on the battlefield who told his mates to “not worry about him” Whitman talked about the heroic actions these people did and the great hardship they suffered through. I really like those three Walt Whitman poems because they all includes nature in it, and I feel like those poems all have a great deeper meaning and it will get people thinking after reading it. Song of Myself is not a poem that is easy to understand, you need to read it more than once or twice to really understand what message Walt Whitman is trying to get to us through the poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment